Last weekend I convinced my friend Christiana to come with me to Smorgasburg Williamsburg, an outdoor food market by Brooklyn Flea, because I saw that baker Fany Gerson of La Newyorkina would be there selling Pan de Muerto. I mean, could I help myself? It was Dia de los Muertos and coincidentally a gorgeous, warm autumn day.
We ended up having a fantastic time and tried a ton of food, including this delicious traditional Colombian arepa from Palenque Food and an alligator chili that we just LOVED from Brooklyn Bayou. Afterward, I was in a good mood all day.
In fact, I felt pretty good all week. After cooking up a (healthy) storm a couple weeks ago, I finally put up some of my recent recipes. My big batch of Cuban sofrito, which I’ll be enjoying for a while to come, and the baked plantains with avocado crema, which I brought to a potluck with Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef, are winners. Of course, there’s also a few more things that I wanted to share with you this week. Take a look!
1. The Breakfast Taco is the Supreme Ruler of Food: Okay, I admit it: I have a serious crush on Buzzfeed Food. I could read them all day, every day. This recent story on how great breakfast tacos are really inspired me, actually. Maybe it’s time I make one?
2. Are Your Latina Curves Killing You? This is a piece that I wrote for Latina.com that I am actually very proud of. Yes, it’s part of my job but this was a personal commentary where I talked about my weight loss as well as the health risks associated with being overweight, since 25% of Hispanic women do not realize that their weight is unhealthy.
3. Great Balls of Cheese by Michelle Buffardi: My friend Justin Schwartz, an Executive Cookbook Editor for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and blogger behind JustCookNYC.com, recently gave me this book. I love sharing good food with friends so, with the holidays coming up, I can’t wait to make some of these recipes for my annual December party. There’s even a recipe for a Mexican Black Bean Ball and a “Nacho Cat” that is more adorable than I can describe. Doesn’t that sound delicious? Just don’t make the pizza cheese ball because, trust me, you’ll eat the whole thing yourself! It’s THAT good.
4. Study: Obesity Linked to Early Puberty in Girls: Childhood obesity is a big problem in the U.S., and it’s something that I read about as a reminder of why I lost weight, why it’s important for me to keep it off, and why it’s even more important for me to help educate others on being healthy. This new study found that obese girls as young as second grade can start puberty, and that to me is scary. With the growing Latino obesity rates, I hope that we will all do more to curb this trend.
5. Fall Ingredient Essentials: Yucca: My parents moved to Miami when I was 8 years old and pretty immediately started eating yucca–a lot! Cubans typically have it boiled, sprinkled with toasted garlic, though I personally really like it as yucca fries. Well, it turns out I didn’t know as much about the ingredient as I thought! This informative guide from TheLatinKitchen.com was nicely informative.
What are you looking forward to this weekend?
Want more Healthy Latin Food? Follow me on Twitter and Instagram, become a fan on Facebook, or sign up to receive e-mail updates. And if you have any questions about cooking healthy or weight loss, please don’t hesitate to e-mail me. Thanks for reading!